Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Whole Wide World Is Tweeting


Stand With Free Iran #IranelectionImage by harrystaab via Flickr



BoingBoing.net has posted the Cyberwar guide for Iran elections. Me, I'm just reading on Twitter right now. I don't think adding, "Go protestors", "I'm with you, from here in the comfort my living room." would be much of a help. I could be wrong, though. Who knows what effect having so much of the world engaged in a people's struggle will have?

Along with news, Twitter's full of handy tips, first aid advice and other helpful info. Of course it's also full of rumor and misinformation. There's help to sort out what you should be suspicious of and what's reasonably reliable in the form of Twitspam's Iranian Election page to help you identify sources of BS. You gotta hand it to them - Twitter's on top of things. Can you imagine trying to run a revolution on early IRC chatrooms or even early instant messging?

Between Twitter and Nico Pitney's excellent liveblogging at Huffington Post, I'm once again having a hard time focusing on the things I can more directly affect - such as the state of my kitchen floor, laundry, etc.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made many comments to anyone because I don't want to say something that might be misconstrued. So I have just more or less said nothing, just read.

    It's been very interesting.. scary, reminds me of the 60's, Kent State, Watts, Chicago things like that.

    No, I can't imagine trying to run it a few years ago with the systems we used to have.

    ReplyDelete